7.03.2009

off we go to iguazu.

Did you know Iguazu Falls is the 9th wonder of the world? Nope, neither did I.

Last Friday we took of for our 18 hour bus ride to "las cataratas"- the waterfalls. In case you are itching to know about the ride...it's real good. We ate dinner and watched a trillion movies and then slept for a full night. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle the switch to tiny seats for the ride home on the plane to Atlanta but I guess we'll find out soon enough. When we got to Puerto Iguazu, the city where our hostel was and where you stay to go to the falls, we walked around the town and explored for a bit. While being world travlers we stumbled upon a sweet little park with swings next to the river. Key thing to mention: you can see Paraguay and Brazil while standing in Argentina from this spot. Three countries in plain sight. Awesome. The next day we got up early to go the park. We coated ourselves in bug spray and started walking through the RAIN FOREST in SOUTH AMERICA. I had to keep reminding myself that this was real and that we are here in another country. Crazy! Our first stop was a ride through the waterfalls. There is a speedboat you can take that literally gets you soaked by taking you right under the falls. We were wet for the rest of the day but it was well worth it! The next stop was to "La Garganta del Diablo" or "the devils throat." I have NEVER seen something so amazing as this. To say they were beautiful is a huge understatement and no picture can do it justice. I hope for all of you that you can add this to a "to-do in life" list and come visit the falls.
It's crazy to think again that our God made this for his own enjoyment and we get to enjoy him through these falls and everything around us. Meganne has learned through this trip that the Lord really speaks to her through nature- very much the same thing I learned through living at the Canyon after freshmen year. His greatness is beyond our measure and through the Falls, the Canyon, the mountains-Christ shows himself in very real ways. And this God of the big is also the God of the small, our God. Just as much as he cares about the big He cares very much for the details of our life. I hope you know how the Lord reaches you and that you are in a continual search of meeting with him and allowing him to take you where he desires to sit with you and speak clearly where you can hear him.
The mist from the Falls is perfect for dancing around in and more picture taking. After we finished our time in the park we went back to the small town for the night. You should also know that Justin, one of the guys on the team, and I chased guniea pigs around the park on our way out. These fat little pigs move real fast. Also, there was the most precious group of kids singing and playing instruments on the way out of the park. They had torn clothes, dirt all over themselves and they had no shoes. Each one of them had a huge smile and seemed so filled with such a child-like and simple joy. These were my favorite faces. I wanted to tell them how deeply they are loved by a great King. These are the kids I wish I could run around in fields with and tell them about Jesus.
On Monday afternoon we got back on the bus to come back to the city and here we are. Again, this trip was packed with laughing and so many funny things were said that I wish I could tell them all to you. But I guess since I can't do that...what happened in Iguazu stayed in Iguazu.

No comments:

Post a Comment