7.03.2009

community.

There is something to be said about community. And I don't mean just a community of believers that share the same values and the same beliefs and loves as us. At church in Athens we are always talking about giving away our lives for our community and the place the Lord has placed us to live. I had no idea what that would look like here in Buenos Aires and it was was one of my main prayers on my heart that the Lord would show me what it looked like to be made empty here. And I thought being made empty would be serving others until I had nothing left to give but along with many other things I have learned, this isn't always true. Sometimes words aren't required, sometimes it's the life people see us living and nothing else but believing the Lord will carry to completion what he has planned for each life. Mom always tells me that our life is our testimony. Mom and dad have been earthly examples of what it looks like to love and to love in abundance. And Dan McIntosh told mom before he passed that I have a gift for gab. So I guess somewhere in the mix of all that the Lord has combined those for chances to be a part of a community here. I don't know if my train of thought is making any sense but hang with me. The other day Meganne and I were walking down the street and passed the owner of the coffee shop where we always go before/ after class. On his own he waved and said hello, knowing exactly who we were. He knows when I go in that I want a coffee with milk, more milk than coffee. Down the road is another place where Meganne, Will, Danielle and I have had a lot of lunches. The waitress knew the other day that I normally order the toasted ham and cheese sandwich. The man at the coffee shop has asked me several times when I am doing a quiet time if I'm writing a love note to someone special. My response, no...well, not really, but yes. He now sees the Bible sitting there and knows what I am doing. In the scriptures we see Jesus loving and witness him apeaking to his disciples. "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another (John 13:34-35)." I am not really sure why I felt like I immediately needed to sit down and think through this idea of community, but I am and now you are part of this thought. Our life is our testimony and our life speaks for what we are living for. Use the gifts you have been given to be intentional with people, to give your life away knowing our reward is not here on earth. Be fearless. Sit in on the hills talking to people. Go out to the places you where you are now and let the people know they are loved deeply regardless of anything the world is telling them. Do this in whatever way we feel we are being called to. I just wonder what would happen if I really believed that Christ is the center of community and all friendships and that nothing is an accident or a coincidence. So I guess my prayer is that together we would really see and experience what it looks like to be the hands and the feet of Jesus and live abundantly in the light he has called us to.

1 comment:

  1. bonne!!!!!!!! i def. teared up when i read this because we had SUCH GREAT COMMUNITY THERE!!!!! and now i'm writing a paper by myself. ugh. You are right we have soo much to be thankful for on that trip!! how amazing He is!!!!! how amazing you are and how grateful I am for our friendship of love and LAUGHTER!! I can't wait to see you again in August

    ReplyDelete